Technical Program Manager, Safety Assurance
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly to make transportation safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. The Aurora Driver is a self-driving system designed to operate multiple vehicle types, from freight-hauling semi-trucks to ride-hailing passenger vehicles, and underpins Aurora Horizon and Aurora Connect, its driver-as-a-service products for trucking and ride-hailing. Aurora is working with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem, including Toyota, FedEx, Volvo Trucks, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, U.S. Xpress, Werner, Covenant, Schneider, and Ryder. For Aurora’s latest news, visit aurora.tech and @aurora_inno on Twitter.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Technical Program Manager, Safety Assurance.
In this role, you will
- Be accountable for the management and scaling of our Safety Issue Resolution process and database, including project management, tracking, reporting, and cross-functional communication.
- Track progress of safety issues, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks, and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders, and engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to surface safety issues and draw insights for exploration or escalation as needed.
- Guide the Safety team in data visualization techniques, data analysis, and data storytelling
- Coordinate and deliver org-wide reports on safety data and insights on a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly basis.
- Partner deeply with engineering, operations, and product teams to ensure safety issue resolution.
- Understand technical implementation at the architectural level and propose technical alternatives when necessary; ask questions that clarify priorities and push teams toward the adoption of safety best practices.
- Support technical and strategic planning, leading conversations with key stakeholders to develop concepts for initiatives, and developing those into detailed program/project plans.
- Remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress, identify gaps in communication or schedule, manage issue escalations, provide support to teams balancing competing priorities, and drive results proactively.
- Support process and efficiency improvements across the Safety Organization.
- Minimum of 3 years experience as a Program Manager in an autonomous systems, robotics, software development environment, or technical field.
- Strong experience in program management; practical familiarity with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and ability to apply them where best suited.
- Ability to manage a high volume of projects, spanning many functional teams and cross-functional initiatives.
- Ability to communicate (written and verbal) effectively and facilitate communication amongst various project teams and executive leadership.
- Experience in planning and milestone tracking for new program rollouts.
- Proficient use of data visualization tools and ability to create program dashboards (Jira, Smartsheet, LookerStudio)
- Proficient in Atlassian product suite (Jira, Confluence).
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification or Certified Scrum Master (CSM)
- 1+ years of experience working in a safety-critical field (Aerospace, Automobile, Nuclear, Oil or similar organization)
- Exposure to a wide variety of management techniques including Scrum, Agile, and Waterfall
- Proficient in risk management, issue resolution, and triage.
- Familiarity or experience with safety processes which may include investigations, root cause analysis, functional safety, safety reporting programs, safety risk assessment models
The base salary range for this position is $116,000-$173,000 per year Aurora’s pay ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, the successful candidate’s starting base pay will be determined based on factors including job-related skills, experience, qualifications, relevant education or training, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future. The successful candidate will also be eligible for an annual bonus, equity compensation, and benefits.
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together extraordinarily talented and experienced people united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and build a culture where we win together — all without any jerks.
We have offices in several locations across the United States, where we encourage team and cross-functional collaboration. Aurora offers competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits, and additional healthcare support including medical transportation reimbursement, fertility, adoption, and surrogacy benefits. We empower our employees and their families with options to further their unique physical, mental, and financial well-being.
Our Learning and Development offerings include Aurora Academy, where our people learn, develop, and practice the essential skills that drive Aurora’s mission, continually up-leveling our team along the way. Our Careers page provides insight into career opportunities at Aurora, and you can find all the latest news on our Blog.
Safety is central to everything we do. Every employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. We seek candidates who take active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization's long-term success by working safely — no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including increased access to transportation. To realize those benefits, we need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives — a workforce that reflects the communities our technology will serve.
Aurora is committed to providing access to anyone who seeks information from our website. We invite anyone using assistive technologies, such as a screen reader or Braille reader, to email us at email@example.com if they experience difficulty using our website. Please describe the accessibility problem and include a URL (if available).
Aurora considers candidates without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law. Aurora considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At Aurora, every employee is empowered to take an active role in building an inclusive, collaborative, and unified culture that leverages our diverse strengths, perspectives, and backgrounds.
Transforming how the world moves people and goods involves seeking to understand backgrounds, insights, and lived experiences that differ from our own. One way we accomplish that is with our 15 employee-led Aurora Unified Groups, which support diverse voices and drive inclusive collaboration. We believe that teamwork, belonging, and trust motivate and support our employees to do their best work. As our team grows, we strive to attract and retain exceptional talent that adds new perspectives and experiences and continues to drive innovation. Learn more on our Culture Page.