Hardware Solution Engineer
Who is Flock?
Flock Safety provides the first public safety operating system that empowers private communities and law enforcement to work together to eliminate crime. We are committed to protecting human privacy and mitigating bias in policing with the development of best-in-class technology rooted in ethical design, which unites civilians and public servants in pursuit of a safer, more equitable society.
Our Safety-as-a-Service approach includes affordable devices powered by LTE and solar that can be installed anywhere. Our technology detects and captures objective details, decodes evidence in real-time and delivers investigative leads into the hands of those who matter.
While safety is a serious business, we are a supportive team that is optimizing the remote experience to create strong and fun relationships even when we are physically apart. Our flock of hard-working employees thrive in a positive and inclusive environment, where a bias towards action is rewarded. Flock Safety is headquartered in Atlanta and operates nationwide. We have raised over $380M in venture capital including a recent Series E round led by Tiger Global. Now surpassing a 3B valuation, Flock is scaling intentionally and seeking the best and brightest to help us meet our goal of reducing crime in the United States by 25% in the next three years.
- How To Succeed at Flock Video
- Flock’s Series E Announcement
- How We Stop Crime and Protect Privacy
- Flock’s Framework
- Ethics Center
Flock is looking for an experienced Hardware Solutions Engineer to add to our Electrical Engineering team. As part of the EE team, you will contribute to the HW and system design across the Flock Safety line of devices, with emphasis on the assessment and profiling of specific systems and new technologies, the prototyping of novel solution configurations, and characterizing possible product optimizations. In addition, you will be expected to closely collaborate with a multi-functional engineering team in the triaging of critical customer and field issues, and the preparation of detailed technical collaterals to guide the development and deployment of new custom implementations utilizing Flock’s line of public safety Audio/Video IoT devices.
How you'll make an impact:
- Research and Implement new technologies and custom hardware systems
- Prototype, evaluate, and profile novel design approaches and system solutions
- Contribute to system-level optimizations (power, BOM, performance, etc…) across products
- Analyze and root cause critical hardware and system-level issues
- Contribute to the bring up and validation efforts of new hardware modules and subsystems, across EVT and DVT stages
- Collaborate with internal teams to align on technical product requirements, and contribute to ongoing roadmap planning
- Work on resolving system integration issues related to thermal, mechanical, electrical/functional, signal integrity, and power integrity
- Create performance profiling dashboards and reports, hardware design guides, application notes, and other relevant technical collaterals
- Work closely with a wider range of multi-functional groups in a fast-paced environment
We're looking for people who:
- BSEE with 5+ years of experience working on Imaging/Audio IoT products in a Hardware Solutions, Systems, Applications, Validation, or Design roles
- Proven ability to develop and execute comprhensive hardware/system profiling, integration, and/or validation plans
- Proven track-record triaging and successfully resolving complex hardware and system-level issues
- Experience with product prototyping and evaluation
- Strong electrical engineering fundamentals including analog and digital design, as well as complex multi-layered PCB design (schematic and layout)
- Familiarity with a wide variety of IoT related products and technologies: Imaging, Audio, Battery/Power Management, Solar, RF, and/or related fields and technologies
- Familiarity with high speed interfaces such as CPU/SoC, DDR, eMMC/UFS, PCIe, USB, SPI, UART, MIPI, GMSL, etc…
- Experience testing and validating power electronics
- Hands-on experience and comfortable with bench-level electronics testing, soldering, utilizing oscilloscopes, multimeters, signal/load generators, logic/power analyzers, etc…
- Extensive experience cross functionally working with EE, ME, FW, and SW teams
- A self-starter, highly motivated to resolve complex technical problems.
- Comfortable and excited to work in a dynamic start-up environment
- Experience commercializing HW designs (concept to production) in the consumer electronics or industrial IoT product segments
- Capable of using scripting languages to assist with validation, profiling, and hardware development
- Experience with SI/PI validation and optimization
- Familiarity wireless products (3G/4G/5G, Wifi/BT, etc..), including RF design and testing know-how
Feeling uneasy that you haven’t ticked every box? That’s okay, we’ve felt that way too. Studies have shown women and minorities are less likely to apply unless they meet all qualifications. We encourage you to break the status quo and apply to roles that would make you excited to come to work every day.
Our values define how we approach our work every single day:
- Do the Work
- Optimism With a Plan
- Embrace Change to Grow
- Protect the Whole Community
To read more about our values, click here.
Why Join Us?
While being surrounded by a bunch of cool people working to eliminate crime is its own reward, we have plenty more to offer:
- We have raised over $380M in venture capital and are backed by some of the top VCs including a16z, Tiger Global, Meritech and more
- 91% of our employees recommend working here
- We have an audacious goal of reducing crime in the United States by 25% over the next three years
- 7% of crimes in the US are solved by Flock, and we help to solve ~200 crimes a day
- We partner with 2100+ cities and 1500+ agencies across the US and process 1.65B+ images a week (we process more images than Instagram 🤯)
💰Salary & Equity: In this role, you’ll receive a starting salary of $130,000-$165,000 as well as stock options
🌴Use what you need PTO: We seriously mean it, plus 11 company holidays and your birthday off!
⚕️Fully-paid health benefits plan for employees: including Medical, Dental, and Vision and an HSA match.
👪Family Leave: We provide 16 weeks of 100% paid leave for primary caregivers and 12 weeks of 100% paid leave for secondary caregivers.
🍼Fertility & Family Benefits: We have partnered with Maven, a complete digital health benefit for starting and raising a family. We will reimburse $10,000 a year for adoption, surrogacy, or infertility.
🧠Mental Health: All employees receive an annual subscription to Headspace
💖Caregiver Support: We have partnered with Cariloop to provide our employees with caregiver support
💸Carta Tax Advisor: Employees receive 1:1 sessions with Equity Tax Advisors who can address individual grants, model tax scenarios, and answer general questions.
💻WFH Stipend: $150 per month to cover the costs of working from home.
📚L&D Stipend: $250 per year to use on Audible, Masterclass, Duolingo, Grammarly and so much more.
🏠Home Office Stipend: A one-time $750 to help you create your dream office.
🏢Coworking Space: If you’re not local to our ATL HQ, we’ll provide $250 a month to get you set up with an All Access Membership to WeWork (or a local coworking space in your area).
🐾Pet Insurance: We’ve partnered with Pumpkin to provide insurance for our employee’s fur babies.
Flock is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diverse backgrounds and thoughts and welcome everyone to apply for employment with us. We are committed to fostering an environment that is inclusive, transparent, and collaborative. Mutual respect is central to how Flock operates, and we believe the best solutions come from diverse perspectives, experiences, and skills. We embrace our differences and know that we are stronger working together.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us at email@example.com. This information will be treated as confidential and used only to determine an appropriate accommodation for the interview process.
Something looks off?