HL7 Interface Engineer
Join one of the nation’s leading and most impactful health care performance improvement companies. Over the years, Health Catalyst has achieved and documented clinical, operational, and financial improvements for many of the nation’s leading healthcare organizations. We are also increasingly serving international markets. Our mission is to be the catalyst for massive, measurable, data-informed healthcare improvement through:
Data: integrate data in a flexible, open & scalable platform to power healthcare’s digital transformation
Analytics: deliver analytic applications & services that generate insight on how to measurably improve
Expertise: provide clinical, financial & operational experts who enable & accelerate improvement
Engagement: attract, develop and retain world-class team members by being a best place to work
Role: HL7 Interface Engineer
Team: KPI Ninja
Location: Remote (USA) or Salt Lake City, UT
Travel: Up to 10%, US
Join our world-class team:
The HL7 Interface Engineer brings new source systems into the KPI Ninja Universe. Our technology platform supports more than 20 applications including a Community Health Record Solution that is designed to meet the diverse needs of the many different users of a state’s Health Information Exchange (HIE).
This role focuses on acquiring data from various sources that are found in a Health System’s ecosystem. They become accustomed to both the technical and business details of the source systems and engage with multiple technologies to acquire, transform, deploy, and validate new sources of data. That data will be provided in formats like HL7 2.x, C-CDA, and others. They assist clients in understanding pre-requisites, troubleshooting issues, and sharing knowledge.
In their role they will work closely with their Manager (USA), and other Interface Engineers (India and USA). This role participates in handoff meetings with their counterparts in India. There can be flexibility in the timing, but the goal is to maintain a regular cadence.
What you'll own in this role:
- Perform preliminary assessment of new data sources. Assist clients and project managers with estimating our level of effort and refining the project scope to identify requirements and tasks.
- Work with customers and internal resources to design, develop, and implement HL7 interfaces. Will collaborate closely with QA Data Validators during implementations.
- Perform analysis and testing to ensure quality across the lifecycle of an Interoperability project. Participate in configuration reviews inside the team. Create or amend checklists for testing. Create, amend, or extend test scripts to aid in testing.
- Configure the system to accept new data sources, or to change system features or settings.
- Create detailed documentation for projects, to allow for a clean hand-off to our support teams.
- The ability to articulate issues in both technical and layman terms to both internal and external audiences. This includes tracking and communicating resolution of issues related to projects or support tickets.
- Negotiate solutions that may involve two or more parties and may include trade-offs on competing priorities.
- Balance tasks and priorities between multiple client projects and internal initiatives; ensure one’s own tasks are executed efficiently and according to project requirements and timelines.
- Perform research and write documentation for internal and external audiences.
- As needed and scheduled, participate in on-call events or after-hour deployments.
- As needed, train client resources that participate in meeting our data ingest requirements.
- Demonstrate an ownership mentality, be detail-oriented, and practice continuous learning. Lead a balanced life that enables you to sustain your pace.
- All other duties, as assigned.
What you bring to this role:
- Beginner or Intermediate level in Structured Query Language (SQL). Must be comfortable writing queries with joins.
- Beginner level in PowerShell or any scripting language
- Experience working with HL7 2.x and C-CDA.
- Experience working with EMR/EHR systems and an understanding of the healthcare clinical domain (especially HIS/LIS/RIS workflows).
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to take pride in the quality, details, efficiency, and consistency of the components you will be helping design, build, deploy, test, and maintain at scale.
- Self-motivated; comfortable working under general direction.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products and Microsoft Visio.
- Ability to coordinate and communicate clearly, timely, and effectively with other team members and with clients.
- Effective written and verbal communication. Ability to navigate difficult client conversations with a professional demeanor.
- Strong sense of customer service to address client needs consistently and effectively.
Other "nice to have" skills:
- Ability to read specifications for industry standards like FHIR (r4), HL7 2.x, C-CDA, IHE ITI TF-2, or EDI X12 (Claims).
- Ability to read in at least one coding language (C# recommended). This role will not be performing software development.
- Intermediate level in PowerShell.
Preferred Education & Relevant Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in technology, business, or a healthcare IT related degree; or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years’ experience in healthcare technology-related field, highly preferred.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this job function. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned by Health Catalyst.
Studies show that candidates from underrepresented groups are less likely to apply for roles if they don’t have 100% of the qualifications shown in the job posting. While each of our roles have core requirements, please thoughtfully consider your skills and experience and decide if you are interested in the position. If you feel you may be a good fit for the role, even if you don’t meet all of the qualifications, we hope you will apply. If you feel you are lacking the core requirements for this position, we encourage you to continue exploring our careers page for other roles for which you may be a better fit.
At Health Catalyst, we appreciate the opportunity to benefit from the diverse backgrounds and experiences of others. Because of our deep commitment to respect every individual, Health Catalyst is an equal opportunity employer.