Senior Hardware Design Engineer
Motional is actively looking for a Senior Hardware Design Engineer to join the team and focus on our next generation high performance computing platforms. It's an exciting time in the autonomous space and we're looking to expand our engineering team onsite in the Silicon Valley office.
What you’ll be doing:
- Work cross-functionally to define and deliver High Performance Automotive grade Electrical/Electronic Hardware Platforms to support Motional’s business objectives.
- Develop new Hardware concepts and technologies to enable aggressive price/performance automotive computer products.
- Develop/Execute Hardware Design documentation, Schematics, Code reviews and Test Plans.
- Work collaboratively, both with internal and external partners, to execute PCB Layout, Signal/Power Integrity, EMC, Test Engineering, Mechanical and Thermal Engineering
- Work closely with firmware/diagnostic engineering to ensure effective bring-up and functional test.
- Support Manufacturing, Quality and Reliability teams to enable successful prototyping, NPI and Sustaining.
- Some international travel may be required during critical project phases.
What we’re looking for:
- BS/MS (MS preferred) in Electrical/Electronics Engineering or equivalent experience.
- 5-10+ years of experience with HW development of High Performance Compute/Networking.
- Proven competence in high speed board design, simulation and validation techniques.
- Strong documentation, presentation and collaboration skills.
- Ability to work through ambiguity to define an executable path.
- Aptitude for learning in a fast paced environment.
- Advanced knowledge of hardware engineering principles including requirements gathering, architecture/design, source control management, build processes, reviews, testing methods.
- Solid foundational knowledge and hands-on experience using system communication protocols such as PCIe, I2C, UART, SPI and Ethernet.
- Experience with computing architectures such as FPGAs, GPUs, MCUs, SoCs and their associated hardware computing platforms.
- Lab working experience with Logic Analyzers, Scopes, VNA’s.
- The ability to coach and mentor other engineers.
- Customer focus, strong collaboration skills, and the ability to pull engineers together across teams to accomplish objectives.
- The ability to collaborate with and manage vendors to ensure quality and timely delivery.
- The ability to drive and manage complex projects according to program schedules within a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Comfortable working within Google Docs, Atlassian and Safety frameworks.
- Experience with Polarion, JIRA, and Quality Management Systems.
Bonus Points (not required):
- Experience with Cadence HW Design Tools.
- Automotive Design Experience including Power, GMSL, Automotive Ethernet, CAN.
- 2.5D/3D Simulation Experience.
- Python (or equivalent) Test Script development.
The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors including but not limited to specific skills, experience and expertise, role location, certifications, licenses, and business needs. The estimated compensation range listed in this job posting reflects base salary only. This role may include additional forms of compensation such as a bonus or company equity. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Candidates for certain positions are eligible to participate in Motional’s benefits program. Motional’s benefits include but are not limited to medical, dental, vision, 401k with a company match, health saving accounts, life insurance, pet insurance, and more.
Motional is a driverless technology company making autonomous vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality. We’re driven by something more.
Our journey is always people first.
We aren't just developing driverless cars; we're creating safer roadways, more equitable transportation options, and making our communities better places to live, work, and connect. Our team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who are creating a technology with the potential to transform the way we move.
Higher purpose, greater impact.
We’re creating first-of-its-kind technology that will transform transportation. To do so successfully, we must design for everyone in our cities and on our roads. We believe in building a great place to work through a progressive, global culture that is diverse, inclusive, and ensures people feel valued at every level of the organization. Diversity helps us to see the world differently; it’s not only good for our business, it’s the right thing to do.
Scale up, not starting up.
Our team is behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's longest-standing public robotaxi fleet. We’re driven to scale; we’re moving towards commercialization of our technology, and we need team members who are ready to embrace change and challenges.
Formed as a joint venture between Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.