Senior Software Engineer (Back-End)
PayIt is a fast-growing GovTech company on a mission to modernize how residents interact and transact with government, improving the customer experience and helping our client agencies become more efficient. Our easy-to-implement platform consolidates hundreds of services and payments into one connected experience and enables our clients to drive resident trust, collect revenue quickly, and redeploy their staff to more important challenges.
This innovative approach to government service delivery has garnered significant recognition in both the public and private sectors:
- GovTech 100 (2017-2023)
- Fast Company Innovation in Design Award (2019)
- LocalSmart Awards (2020)
- Smart 50 Award (2021)
Our culture welcomes people who exhibit what we call “PayIt DNA”: High integrity, drive, grit, high aptitude, and team orientation. We are collaborative and passionate about the work we do to improve the lives of our government clients and the end users they serve. We have ambitious scaling goals, and we look for team members who are ready to roll up their sleeves, solve problems, and find new opportunities to win with our clients. And we have a lot of fun together.
At PayIt, we’ve worked diligently to build a team of high integrity, high aptitude, highly driven engineers. Our team of smart, mission-driven team members enables an atmosphere of high responsibility and high autonomy. We hold ourselves to high standards, always looking to improve our skills, our platform, and our offering to our clients. We are driven by the fact that we’re building a meaningful product and solving exciting technical challenges that impact the lives of everyday people like you and me.
Essential Job Functions:
- Design, guide, and create distributed systems with a mindset for performance, encryption, security, scalability, and availability within a broader set of our platform.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to engineers within the team. Review code developed by other engineers and provide feedback to ensure best practices (e.g., style guidelines, accuracy, testability, and efficiency).
- Triage product or system issues and debug/track/resolve by analyzing the sources of issues and the impact on infrastructure or service operations and quality.
- Articulate and communicate design and development processes to technical and non-technical team members
- Provide technical ownership for a number of features designed and developed by the team.
- Drive improvement in the design and quality of our platform
What You’ll Need for this role (job requirements):
- 5+ years experience working on distributed software systems while providing technical structure to teams and working closely with management and stakeholders to define technical roadmaps.
- Experience architecting and developing solutions to challenging technical problems. Interest in determining and applying appropriate technical designs to solve user needs.
- Familiar with the technologies, trade-offs, and design patterns emerging in web-services based technologies.
- Experience with asynchronous programming patterns.
- Experience with relational databases and schema design.
- Interest in innovating within the global payments industry.
- Commitment to iterative development.
- Experience working with containers, orchestration tools, AWS, and asynchronous services within AWS.
- Rigor in automated testing, code quality, and engineering best practices.
Bonus Points For:
- Bonus points for experience with financial, accounting or payments systems.
- Bonus point for experience working with large and complex datasets and/or other distributed data processing systems.
- Familiarity with GraphQL
- Passionate about building products and services that will be used by a large number of citizens that will handle a large volume of transactions with increasing complexities.
- Experience working with tokenization, PKI, and public and/or private key exchange.
Why Work For Us:
- Our mission matters. Your work will make life better for our government agency clients and the millions of residents they serve.
- You’ll do some of the best work of your career here. We tackle complex challenges that are interesting to solve, and you’ll grow a ton working at PayIt
- People are our most important resource. Everyone has a voice. Collaboration is our default setting. And we have fun together.
- We #payitforward with our corporate volunteer program, serving the communities where we work and live.
- Competitive salaries, excellent benefits, flexible working arrangements, and all the resources you will need to do your best work.
What We Care About:
We hire high aptitude, high integrity people who are great communicators and want to be part of a growing team.
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
PayIt is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law.
PayIt is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an email to the People Operations Team and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
NOTE: U.S. Citizens and all those authorized to work for any employer in the U.S. are encouraged to apply. We are unable to provide sponsorship in the United States at this time. Canadian Citizens and those authorized to work in Canada without sponsorship are also encouraged to apply.
To all recruitment agencies: PayIt does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our careers’ alias, PayIt employees or any other company location. PayIt is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Stay Up To Date On everything: Follow Us On Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram.
Within the parameters of this position, ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability, and exercise due care of, company, client, and citizen data that is stored, processed, and transmitted by and for PayIt, as outlined in PayIt’s Business Code of Conduct and Information Security Policies.
Something looks off?