Associate BI Developer
Columbus, OH, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2023
Veeva Systems is a mission-driven organization and pioneer in industry cloud, helping life sciences companies bring therapies to patients faster. As one of the fastest-growing SaaS companies in history, we surpassed $2B in revenue in our last fiscal year with extensive growth potential ahead.
At the heart of Veeva are our values: Do the Right Thing, Customer Success, Employee Success, and Speed. We're not just any public company – we made history in 2021 by becoming a public benefit corporation (PBC), legally bound to balancing the interests of customers, employees, society, and investors.
As a Work Anywhere company, we support your flexibility to work from home or in the office, so you can thrive in your ideal environment.
Join us in transforming the life sciences industry, committed to making a positive impact on its customers, employees, and communities.
Veeva is looking for an Associate BI Engineer to help build the IT organization’s analytics expertise in support of our business customers, as well as internal initiatives. This position will focus on data preparation and visualization in Tableau, SQL scripting, and data modeling as part of a collaborative, cross-functional team.
The BI Engineer will work closely with Veeva’s Integration Engineers, Business Operations customers, and Services Partners to help advance our data and analytics ambitions.
This role will serve as a hands-on contributor and be a thought leader in the areas of Tableau Server, Business Intelligence, Data Modeling, and ETL/ELT.
What You'll Do
- Serve as the technical SME in support of, and in partnership with, the functional BI resources embedded in the business teams
- Participate in the workstream planning process including inception, technical design, development, testing, and delivery of BI solutions
- Develop work plans or review other work plan timelines and manages workflows to meet timeframes
- Participate in the project estimation process
- May participate in the development of business cases to support IT projects
- Analyze business and functional requirements and translate these requirements into robust, scalable, operable BI solutions
- Implement data structures using best practices in data modeling, processes, and technologies
- Implement tools and frameworks for automating report generation, identification of data-quality issues, and data governance
- Lead the integration efforts for merging BI platforms with enterprise systems and applications
- Perform data conversions, imports, and exports of data within and between internal and external software systems
- Troubleshoot BI tools, systems, and software
- Troubleshoot reported data loads or reconciliation inconsistencies in conjunction with the sites for data models and/or reports
- Tracks, monitors, and analyzes performance and production issues, and implements improvements
- Conduct research and makes recommendations on BI products and services
- Interface with vendors to keep abreast of new technologies, pricing, and customer applicability
- Interface with Data Architect and Engineer to recommend new technology opportunities that will have an impact on BI systems
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Management, Mathematics, or specialized training/certification. Or equivalent work experience
- Strong visualization skills with Tableau (preferred), Power BI, or Looker
- 1+ years of professional experience in business intelligence and analytics
- 1+ years of experience with building/managing a suite of BI solutions and driving user adoption
- 1+ years of advanced SQL experience in building complex joins and analytical queries
- Ability to create and enhance data preparation solutions with Alteryx or Tableau Prep
- Proven ability to model data efficiently to support data requirements
- Ability to work with large data sets, obtain information, identify trends, and solve complex problems
- Expert-level skills in data analysis and data mining
- Strong verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to effectively communicate complex technical information to personnel at all levels of the organization
Nice to Have
- Experience working with Data Warehouse technologies and modeling best practices (Databricks (preferred); Snowflake; etc.)
- Experience with Python/Spark
- Data Warehouse/Data Lake configuration using Databricks
- Experience using Alteryx
- Understanding of data governance best practices, and implementation experience a plus
- Software industry experience is a plus
- Experience operating in an Agile development environment
- Familiarity with the usage of Agile tools (JIRA/Confluence)
- Working knowledge of SCM tools (Git preferred) and code management best practices
- Understanding of CI/CD deployment models and release strategy
- Experience with AWS
- Experience with cloud ELT platforms such as Talend Stitch or FiveTran
Veeva’s headquarters is located in the San Francisco Bay Area with offices in more than 15 countries around the world.
Veeva is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need when applying for a role or in our recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com. Position may not be eligible for remote work in Colorado.
See more open positions at Veeva Systems
Something looks off?